Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Tempus fugit

Time flies, and, according to Google Translate, you could very well fly too.

At the end of each year (well, almost), I make the following status update on my Facebook wall:

Tempus fugit,
Tu es pangit.

The first sentence quotes an old Latin saying that means "Time flies."
Tempus- Time.
Fugit- It flies / it escapes. 
The second sentence, well, is Latinagalog (mixture of Latin and Tagalog):
Tu es- You are (Latin).
Pangit- Ugly (Tagalog).  
In the first line, "fugit" is read "fu-jit" in Latin, so chances are, in the second line, you will read "pangit" as "pan-jit" and just later on realize that it should really mean "pangit" in Tagalog.

So much for explaining the joke (I don't really like explaining jokes).

This year, I was thinking of making the same post on my Facebook wall. However, I decided to first check how Google Translate would work out its translation. I got the result below.



If I were to accept this translation, I guess for this year I could add another line to my Facebook status:

Tempus fugit,
Tu es pangit;
Fuge, pangit, fuge!*

*Fly, pangit, fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment